An Interagency Working Group has issued a new fact sheet updating what they have done and intend to do to improve chemical facility safety and security.
As directed by Executive Order (EO 13650), six agencies formed the chemical working group and wrote a consolidated federal action plan to address five elements:
- Strengthening community planning and preparedness
- Enhancing federal operational coordination
- Improving data management
- Modernizing policies and regulations
- Incorporating stakeholder feedback and developing best practices
Here are a few updates:
- This summer the EPA expects to release an online training module on key requirements for state emergency response commissions (SERC), tribal emergency response commissions (TERC), local emergency planning committees (LEPC), and tribal emergency planning committees (TEPC) under EPCRA.
- EPA, OSHA, and the ATF have updated and reissued a chemical advisory—Safe Storage, Handling, and Management of Ammonium Nitrate.
- OSHA has issued new policies clarifying interpretations for chemicals without concentrations listed in Appendix A and defining recognized and generally accepted good engineering practices (RAGAGEP).
You can read the new Fact Sheet here.